Other Info

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Visit to a School


This is a very belated entry. On Wednesday, July 21, on the day we went to Nyamata and Ntarama, we visited a school in the late afternoon. It was a very interesting trip. It was the second last day of school in the year for the students and teachers and they were really very warm and welcoming. We gathered in a large classroom with the teachers and some students from the school. We introduced ourselves (all of us - our group and the Rwandan teachers as well) and talked a little about the school and what it does. It is a public school, open to all students, and it has an ambitious plan of supplying one computer for each student. The headmaster took us to his office to sign the guest book and he showed us the computers. They are quite nice, I have seen them in magazines, and you probably have too: they are white and green laptops with two stubby antenae). Darla gave the school a set of soccer uniforms and promised to return later with another set so they could have two teams play each other, and another member of our group also gave some school supplies. I was wishing fervently that I had brought some of the school supplies donated by my church, but I would have other chances later in the trip. As we were talking in the classroom, a group of children from the school came in and performed a dance. It was marvelous. First a group of children came in singing, accompanied by a young fellow with a drum, and then the dancers came in. I was blown away. I hope to be able to include a video of the children, but right now the clip I have is too long. If I can make it a little shorter, perhaps I will be able to upload it.  In the meantime I have posted a still photo of the children dancing, and a picture of me and two of the teachers at the school.

No comments:

Post a Comment