Other Info

Saturday, August 28, 2010

At My Cottage

Today is Saturday, August 28, 2010. I have been at my family cottage since Tuesday. I was remarking to myself that except for the absence of palm trees, banana trees and calla lilies along the roadside, this forest looks very much like the Rwandan countryside we drove through every day. Even the soil here in the Kawarthas is red, like the soil in Rwanda. And it's hilly here, too. As I sit on my verandah and look outside, the view I have is not unlike the view at the top of mountain at Bisesero. It was woodsy there, with pine trees similar to the ones here. When we walked down the other side of the hill to where Olivier had taken the bus, I noticed that the ground was covered in pine needles, just like it is here.

That makes the genocide seem all that more hideous, that it could happen in a place of such extraordinary beauty.


No comments:

Post a Comment