Other Info

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sundry Travel Needs

Because the cost of airfare to Rwanda is so expensive, we will be staying in a very modestly priced guesthouse in Kigali.  This means that we have to bring our own towels.  Fluffy at-home style towels are not appropriate for travel because they are bulky and take too long to dry.
Linda went to Mountain Equipment Co-op today and bought one of each of the two types of travel towel on offer at that store.  She bought the very smallest sized towel, the kind a person might use for drying her hair.  She is going to test the towels and see which one dries fastest and packs the smallest, because both of those features are considerations for our trip.  Luggage size is not unlimited and I will also be packing school supplies to give to a school in Rwanda.  Because our hair is so short, we will not need to worry about blow dryers.  Or combs.
I am also fretting needlessly about my travel blanket and inflatable "dare-you-to-try-to-sleep-on-the-airplane" pillow.  I have a travel pillow, it's inflatable, but it has a flocked cover which feels kind of rubbery against my skin.  I will be making a cover for it.  I will look for a piece of fleece in a jazzy colour or print.  If I find some nice material, maybe I can make a travel blanket too.  How hard can it be?  Just make it four feet square after finishing the edges, and an elastic loop for securing it once it's rolled up, or a pouch to fold it into and there you are.
Finally, we want to bring a sleep sac.  Silk ones can be purchased at many travel stores, but I am off silk just now, except for formal-wear emergencies.  I don't need to sleep on silk.  Linda figures a double sheet folded in half will do the trick, but think it will be a little smallish for sleeping.  We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment