Other Info

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Scarborough Blizzard





I donated the soccer supplies that were so very kindly given to me by Michelle Cole Kennedy of the Scarborough Blizzard Soccer Club, to the Reverend Father Emmanuel Gatera, a local priest in Kigali, to give to an orphanage. I gave one of the adult-size tshirts that Michelle included in the soccer equipment to the Reverend himself.  The picture above is of me with Father Emmanuel.

Father Emmanuel’s family left Rwanda due to the anti-Tutsi massacres that took place in 1962. His father was tortured and killed at that time. His immediate family moved to Burundi. During the genocide in 1994, Father Emmanuel lost 200 members of his extended family. Still, he exuded a sense of grace and hope. He believes his country can move forward. He is a braver man than I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment