Other Info

Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Concept of Forgiveness


I can’t forgive yet, if ever.

I have heard it said that if you don’t forgive, you can be consumed by your rage, or that it takes a lot of effort to remain angry. Well, I have been to the memorials at Nyarubuye, Bisesero, Murambi, Nyamata, and Ntarama, and I can tell you that it will take a lot more than “I’ve confessed and I’m sorry” to move me into a forgiving mood. How much more, I don’t know. But it will take more.

I should mention that no one has asked us to forgive Nazis.

The photo attached to this post is of a lady we met at Ntarama. She lost her entire family, her husband, children, siblings and parents. Look her in the eye, and see if you can forgive the people who did this to her.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for these stories. I'm in the midst of a book on the genocide and happened upon your blog while trying to understand certain things. Thanks for all this. I am from Sri Lanka and given our own civil war one would expect us to understand some of it... but no...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment.

      Delete