Other Info

Sunday, September 2, 2018

A Day In The Park


We were out very early today to get a good start on our safari at Akagera National Park.  Our first stop was the park's visitor centre where we were introduced to our guide, Innocent (it's a common name in Rwanda).  He explained a little bit about the park, talked about its size (substantial for a country as small and as populated at Rwanda) and about its animals (no lions, but will be getting some from Kenya soon), and then we were off.  Innocent joined our bus, and sat in the jump seat beside me.  He was very knowledgeable about the park, and used my camera the whole time to get some amazing pictures.  It did not bother me to let him use it because he has a better eye than I do.

We had originally wanted to be out only for six hours but we were bouncing around for nine hours (I had to reload the gravol at 1:30 in the afternoon, just in case)  in the park.  Our driver, the intrepid Olivier, is fantastic. 

During our time there we saw countless birds, Cape buffalo, giraffes, zebras, water buck, antelopes, a large snake, wart hogs, vervet monkeys and baboons.  I am having trouble loading pictures, and that really bothers me, but I will try to load them again, nonetheless.

After the safari, we returned to the game lodge where we had lunch then climbed back aboard the bus with our stuff for our trip back to Kigali, where we arrived at about 7:30 pm, which means we were in the bus for about 12 hours, if we subtract the time we spent having lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment