Other Info

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Memorial to the Belgian Soldiers killed at the start of the Genocide

Yesterday we went to the Memorial to the Belgian Soldiers killed at the start of the genocide.  It was a very sad place, indeed.

Unfortunately this internet cafe does not have the facility for me to upload the photos I took, so I will have to wait until I find a more blog-friendly cafe, or I get home.  I do hope I can post the pictures with my written entries, because it will make the entries more powerful.

The building where they were killed  has been left untouched, except for a few plaques on the inside with the names of the dead soldiers listed.

The outside of the building is pock-marked by bullets and grenade fire, ditto for the inside.  There are still blood stains on the walls.

There is a blackboard on one wall of of the two rooms in the memorial.  At the tenth anniversary of the genocide, families of the Belgian soldiers wrote notes and comments on the blackboard which has since been covered by protective glass to preserve these comments.  Unfortunately, some of the comments are very critical of Romeo Dallaire, and I felt myself become very angry when reading them.  I did take some photos, and hopefully can post them later.



No comments:

Post a Comment