Other Info

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Things to Look Forward to in London

I was sitting in my chair reading the paper, when suddenly I was struck by a memory of me in England in 1980, when I travelled there on my own. I was in Brighton, sitting in a beach chair that I had rented, and I had the urge for some fish and chips. I asked the chair rental chap to hold the chair for me (I had paid for an hour's worth of sitting and wasn't keen on losing my chair!) and I went to a fish and chips kiosk that was in one of the arches under the road. I ordered a fish and chips and it came rolled in a huge cone made of fake newspaper. I carried it back to my chair and ate it. The cone was blisteringly hot and I sprinkled lots of salt and vinegar onto the fish and chips. My order came with a little fork, but I used my fingers until it was time to eat the fish.

I remember it was a sunny day, but it was cold; I was wearing jeans, a shirt and sweater and a denim jacket.

I don’t eat fish anymore, but I do love chips. I will make a point of ordering some chips and eating them outdoors in a chair. If we get a chance to dash down to Brighton, that will be even better, but that is unlikely, considering we have a growing list of things to do in London. I will post the list shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment