Other Info

Sunday, September 2, 2018

Packing for my Trip

I have a reputation of not being a light traveller.  As I am considering what to pack, I keep thinking, "What if I need that?" and I add whatever "that" is to my list or to my bag.

This is my second trip to Rwanda.  I suppose I have an advantage over other people because I have been there before, I know what to expect.  Moreover, there is a very, very well stocked Nakumat store, which I mentioned in my other Rwanda blog
 ( http://mytriptorwanda.blogspot.ca/2010/08/feeding-cat.html) and which carries everything you could possibly need, including furniture, large and small household appliances, and exercise equipment (but no cat food).   Still, I keep thinking, "What if I need that?"    If I didn't need to bring a sheet sac, a fleece sleeping bag and a mosquito tent (it's a beauty!), and possibly a small folding three-legged stool, I would not need to bring too much at all.    I will be leaving the fleece sleeping bag behind, and the stool, but not the sheet sac nor the mosquito net because I can use it at the cottage, and it is not a regular run-of-the-mill mosquito net.

So I will start with my carry on.   Against the possibility that there will be a delay in having our bags reach Kigali when we do, I will pack a few things into my carry on that I would not normally take with me on the plane.  The chance of arriving without my suitcase is not as far-fetched as you might think - on the last trip, my suitcase arrived two flights later in the day, one person's bag arrived the next day, and one unlucky person's bag arrived about five days later.  I think it's because the plane from Nairobi to Kigali is not very large, and maybe it can't hold luggage for all the people it carries.

So here is my carry-on bag's contents:

1. All meds, including non-prescription meds
2. Chapeau and bandana and earphones
3. In a cube: three gidge, two socks, 1 polo, 1 tee, 1 tilley long sleeve, pj pants and tshirt
4. All power cords (i pad, i phone, camera, pulse)
5. In a baggie: Shampoo, facewash, hair goober, toothbrush, toothpaste
6. In a baggie:  lip goober, mints
6. Blanket and pillow and lumbar pillow, sleep shades
7. my spork
8. Ipad
9. spare photo copy of all of my ID

On me will be my passport, vaccination certificate, visa (I'll take all three I think), photo copy of my ID and money, one credit card, one bank card, driver's license, and I will be wearing my red fleece jacket.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment