Other Info

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Generosity of Scarborough Blizzard

Long-time readers of my blog will know that before my previous trip to Rwanda I wrote to several local soccer clubs asking for donations of used soccer equipment and used balls etc.  Of all of the clubs I wrote to, only the Scarborough Blizzard club replied.   The generosity of the head of that club, Michelle Cole-Kennedy, was utterly overwhelming.  She gave me uniforms and balls and shin-guards to give away to children in Rwanda.   We gave the equipment to a local priest, who gave it to his sister who runs an orphanage.  I have posted pictures of two soccer teams wearing the uniforms on an earlier post.

Well, Michelle came through again!   Last night I went to meet her at the Blizzard's club headquarters.  Again, such generosity from Michelle!   She gave me uniforms( jerseys, shorts, socks and goal keeper shirt), balls, shin guards, adult-size  polo-shirts (great for gifts for our hosts and for soccer coaches), and some extra child-sized shirts.  I was, again, totally overwhelmed.

I might add that I wrote to Nike as well, to see if they had any soccer balls they could donate to the cause, even used equipment.    I didn't hear back from Nike, not even a note to say that they could not help.

No comments:

Post a Comment